The Ghost of Wood Neath Farms

My brother and I were lying awake one cold, rainy April evening, when we heard the dog bark. We ran out to the back yard to see what was wrong because she never barks at anything. Our house backs up to a farmer's field, and when we got to the fence, we saw a huge flash of bright light! We both ran like the wind back inside.

We didn't tell any one what had happened, because we knew no one would ever believe us. Neither of us could sleep a wink that night after what we had seen. The next night, we asked if we could sleep in the tent outside to see if the same thing would happen again.

We waited and waited, and nothing happened. Just when we were both about to fall asleep, we saw a light outside the tent. At first, we thought it was our Dad with a flashlight trying to scare us, so we ran back inside the house to see if it was him. When we got inside, there was the flashlight, on top of the refrigerator, where it always stays, and everyone in the house was asleep.

Since we were too scared to go back to the tent, we just went upstairs to our rooms to try to go to sleep.

The next day, we walked up to the farmer's house and knocked on the door. An old woman appeared and said that one night her husband was awoken by a bright light in the field, and when he went to see what it was, he never came back. We asked if we could camp out in our tent in her field that night, and at first, she said no, but we talked her into it. We were hoping we could get a better glimpse of where the light was coming from.

We pitched our tent, and waited . . and waited. After what seemed to be hours, we could see a faint light in the distance. We walked toward it, and it was just a small lantern on the ground. We were too scared to stay and wait for anything else, so we went back to the tent and fell asleep.

In the morning, we were awakened by the cows mooing, and we ran back to where the lantern had been . . and it was still there! We took it back to the farm house, and the lady told us it was the same one her husband had taken with him the night he disappeared.

We never went back to that farmhouse, and never went in the back yard after dark again.

Submitted by Clint & Megan, Missouri, USA