top of page

House on 7th Street

Shauna, BC, Canada
June 2005

Well, first let me tell you the history of this haunted house that I had a scary experience in.

The house was built in 1908 and was opened as a "Birthing House" many years before the city's hospital was built. A woman by the name of Charlotte Kramer (also known as Lotti), her husband and little boy, had moved to Canada from England and built this house. She would have five women at a time staying in the house to give birth to their babies.

My mom's friend Caroline, rents the house and has lived there for eight years. Here are some of the incidents she and her family have experienced throughout the years.

Caroline's daughter Kayla couldn't get to sleep one night, so she hung upside down her bunk bed (she liked the feeling of the blood rushing to her head) but only to see a little boy sitting at the corner of her bed! She hid under her blankets all night.

One day Caroline's mother was over visiting and she was helping out in the kitchen. Caroline had stood at the entrance of the kitchen and her mother stared at her in shock. Her mother said "Caroline, I know who your ghost is. It's not a man, it's not a child, it's a woman and she's standing right behind you". Caroline got really creeped out and decided she was going to do something about this and called a specialist. He found some information on the house and that is how she found out about the history of the house, and who was haunting her.

Six real-estate people had shown up at their door one day wondering if they could just tour the house. They had looked around the house and as they were coming upstairs from the basement, they left some business cards on the kitchen table, then they left. Caroline was about to leave her home to do some errands, and as she knelt over to put her shoes on, she glanced over to the kitchen, and saw a bottom half of what it appeared to be, a white nightgown or dress, float from the kitchen counter to the kitchen table (where the business cards were on). Caroline had then said "Lotti, they were just looking at the house, they are not going to sell it, don't worry". It had vanished instantly.

One very windy and stormy night Caroline was sleeping upstairs in her room. Her husband had passed out on the living room floor (which is located directly underneath their bedroom) considering he had been drinking alcohol that night. Caroline had woken up to a loud noise that sounded like a heartbeat. She had two windows each located at opposite sides of the room. She got up and looked out one window assuming it was loud music base coming from the next door neighbors. When she reached the window, it sounded like it was coming from the other window. So she walked over to the other window, but to hear it coming from the window she just came from. She found that kind of weird so she walked into her daughter's room. When she reached Kayla's room she couldn't hear a thing. She decided to go downstairs to wake up her husband and when they walked halfway up the stairs, her husband had said "What the hell is that?" and she said "That's what I want you to tell me!". The heartbeat noise had continued for about half an hour and finally Caroline had stood up and said "Lotti, it's just a storm, it's not going to hurt anybody". Fifteen minutes it stopped and they never heard it again.

My mom and her ex boyfriend (Tim) were over visiting about 4 years ago. Tim thought that they were all full of crap because he didn't believe in ghosts. They were all sitting at the kitchen table when Caroline and my mom noticed that Tim kept looking over towards where the bathroom was. They kept asking him what was the matter, but he kept saying "nothing". Later on that night when my mom and Tim had left, Tim had told my mom he had seen the bottom half of a white nightgown or dress float into the bathroom. He thought it was Caroline's husband wearing a nightgown thats why he kept looking where the bathroom was to see if he was going to come back out but he didn't. That's how he figured out it was the ghost.

Another weird thing that is suspected to be part of the history of the house is that there are two trees in front of their house. One is a Holly tree and the other is a Jasmine tree. So they figure that maybe there were two babies that had died by the names of Holly and Jasmine. Many other little things have happened such as forks flying of the table while they are eating dinner. The T.V. will turn off or on, and the volume will go up or down while they are watching it. Candles will sway as if someone had walked by, while they are lit and little stuff like that. Caroline had also told me all the hauntings didn't start to happen to them until her daughter-in-law brought her baby over there, about 6 years ago.

This happened to me around the beginning of May 2005. Well I had known that the house was haunted but I had forgotten about it because it had been many years since I have been there. Me and my mom were going to spend the night there. As soon as I walked into the house, I remembered that is was haunted because I could feel that energy in the air. They started to tell me all of the stories I had just explained to you and I got really freaked out. I went into the bathroom to have a shower and I felt like I was being watched, so I tried to be as quick as I could. That bathroom really freaks me out the most out of any other room I have been in that house.

Me, my mom and Caroline were sitting in the living room and I was getting more and more freaked out. Caroline went to bed and me and my mom were alone in the living room when she asked me where her lighter was. I said, "It's on the table". She said it wasn't there and I even looked and it wasn't there. It had disappeared. My mom was going to go into the kitchen for a minute and there was no way I was going to stay in the living room by myself so I went with her. When we came back into the living room and sat down, the lighter was right there on the coffee table! That really freaked me out! So my mom went on one couch and I was on the other. She started to fall asleep and I woke her up and asked her if she would come and sleep with me on the couch I was on. I am 17 years old and I am not the type to be a chicken for anything but I was scared.

So my mom came on the couch with me with her head at the opposite end of where my head was. So I watched T.V. till about 2:00 am and I was getting really tired, so I decided to leave the T.V. on. I rolled over ( my face facing the inside of the couch), and I started to fall asleep. As soon as I fell asleep, I heard a woman's voice coming from above and behind my head, loudly whispering my name "SHAUNA". It woke me up and I jumped. Then I heard it again, but repeating it over and over again, "SHAUNA... SHAUNA... SHAUNA!". By then I woke my mom up and I asked her if it was her because I thought she was maybe trying to scare me. She said she didn't know what I was talking about. So then I told her I heard someone say my name. She told me not to worry about it and she went back to sleep.There was no way I was looking behind me too. As soon as she fell asleep, I heard it again, "SHAUNA... SHAUNA... SHAUNA..." but it was getting faster and faster. I woke her up again and by then she was getting mad at me for waking her up. I was almost crying by then and I was holding the blanket close to my head. She fell back asleep again and it happened again, for the third time! I woke my mom up again and she really got mad at me for waking her up. I was so scared, I waited for the sun to fully come up at 5:30 am and I only slept for 2 hours. I told Caroline what had happened as soon as I woke up. She couldn't believe that it happened to me because she said that nothing really goes on anymore except for the T.V. stuff and the candles swaying.

My grandpa picked me and my mom up half an hour later and I was telling him about what happened. Then my mom said, "Well when that happened to me four years ago, I didn't sleep all night either". Then I said "What? That happened to you? What exactly happened?" and my mom said, "She was talking to me" then I said "What did she say?" and my mom said "She was saying my name!". I started crying as soon as she told me that because even thought I knew it happened to me, I was trying to think that maybe my mind was playing tricks on me. And the reason why my mom didn't tell me the night it happened to me is because she didn't want to freak me out more than I already was.

I will never go back in that house again, even though they say "Lotti" is friendly and means no harm. I just don't understand how they have been living there for eight years! Thank you for taking your time to read my story and if you have any questions or comments you are more than welcome to email me.

Sorry for it being such a long story but I had to make sure I put every detail in it.

Shauna, BC, Canada
00:00 / 01:04
bottom of page