top of page

Mum's Place

Diane Sutton, New South Wales, Australia
September 1998

It all started when I was about twenty four, and having trouble with my first marriage. Whenever I was just about to fall asleep I would feel someone touch my leg, It was sort of a reassuring hand, but it always used to scare the hell out of me. I would jump about six foot off the bed. My husband at the time used to wake with a start, wondering what was all the fuss about.

It wasn't long before my marriage split up (due to other problems) and I moved back with mum.

Mum's house was about forty years old, and was always cold and damp, especially in winter. Mum and dad now slept in the new master bedroom in the extension, and the room I slept in was the old master bedroom at the front of the house, and it was always the coldest. It wasn't long after moving back home that I started experiencing those strange things again, but this time they were getting more frequent, and whoever they were was getting more game. I would be just about to drift off to asleep and I would either have someone stoking my hair or snuggle in next to me. Mind you, I didn't find it very comforting. I was very frightened and didn't, and still don't understand what was happening to me and why. Though they seemed to be harmless enough. They were not always so nice. With things happening to me like this, you can imagine I was not sleeping so well.

One night I was sleeping soundly, then all of a sudden at about 2:30am I woke with a fright. I could hardly breathe, the room was pitch black and so cold that I could feel the frost that my breath was making, it felt like someone was going to attack me. I felt very heavy, I couldn't move. I lay there so frightened for about thirty seconds. I then managed to get up and turn the light on, looked all around the room, but of course there was no one there. This was one of the most frightening things that has ever happened to me. I was glad for a dimmer switch on the light switch, I kept the light on for the rest of the night. Though it took me a long time to get back to sleep, and even then it was very light. I kept waking up to check that there was no one in my room. I'll never forget this experience.

There was more to come. This last experience was to happen again about six months later, and then other things started to happen.

On one night I woke up at 1am to a loud crash. I jumped up and turned the light on. There I saw my doona (Stored in a plastic bag) on the floor near the door. Not spooky you might say, but the cupboard that it was on top of was on the other side of the room and the top cupboard was also leaning inward, so the only way for it to fall was if someone had pulled it off the top of the cupboard and thrown it across the room. Needless to say I had the light on for the rest of the night.

Another thing that happened to me in the room was when I was sleeping with the heater on, I had a oil heater, so it can get rather hot if you have it on very high. I only ever had it on low, it was a very large bedroom but that was enough to keep the damp cold air out. One morning at about 7am I woke up sweating profusely, I was so hot I thought I was going to die. I jumped out of bed to open the door and let some cool air in, and noticed that someone had turned the heater up to high. I asked mum it she had come in and changed it at any time, and she said she hadn't.Things were getting very spooky, and mum used to get very funny if I ever mentioned anything that had happened. She is very religious, so I never used to tell her too much.

I started to get very frightened, so I went looking for answers, I visited every reader hoping that they could tell me something to ease my mind. It wasn't until I joined a Spiritualist Meditation Group that I started to learn more about these things. I started to understand, they showed me how to protect myself (White Light) against bad things. They thought me about my guardian angels (the nice ones) too. I don't live at mum's anymore, and nothing much happens these days now that I protect myself, but I will never forget what happened at mum's.

Diane Sutton, New South Wales, Australia
00:00 / 01:04
bottom of page