top of page

The Chair in the Basement

Daniel Moe, Hawaii
September 1997

Ihad been working at St. Francis Hospital for about a year, different shifts, but this night I was on the graveyard shift 11pm to 7am. It had been a normal night, and now it was about 3:30 am. I was sure that my partner was snoring somewhere in the hospital, since being a security officer in a large hospital is not the most exiting job. I decided that I'd head into the basement to sit and read the paper, since no one except us security guards ever went down there. The basement was about 100 yards by 100 yards, and filled with unused medical equipment, cages full of boxed documents, and generally a tangle of junk that you had to weave your way through to get from one side to the other. Right in the middle of the mess, were about four recliners that had been used in the waiting rooms.This was an area, frequented by me and my fellow guards, usually you had to get there first to get a good chair, but on the graveyard shift I had my choice. I picked a large green chair, and plopped down and opened my paper. I had only been there a minute, when I got a strange feeling that someone was watching me, I put my paper down, and scanned the area but saw nothing. That's when all the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I decided to get the hell out of there, fast! When I tried to get up, it felt like someone very large and strong was holding my wrists and ankles to the chair. I'm a 200lb guy in good shape, but the pressure became so great that despite struggling with all my might, it seemed I could only move my eyes, which were darting around the dim basement in sheer panic. I don't know how long I was restrained but it seemed like forever. Then all at once it let me go. I was actually catapulted out of the chair by the force of my struggling, and it seemed that I flew through the air at least 15 feet, and hit the ground running, out of there.

I sat in E.R. for the rest of my shift, until at 6:30am when the dreaded call came over the radio for me to open the computer room, in the basement. I waited for the employees so that I would not be alone. As I left the basement I couldn't help but glance at the chair that had been rocking violently from the force of my struggle, and I saw a bright sparkle on the seat of the chair! I thought about it for a minute and had to take a look. On the seat, dead center, I found a 1/2 carat diamond earring. A friend of mine appraised it and told me the setting was at least 50 years old. I had a pierced ear at the time and wore the earring for about 6 months. Every night I would take it off and put it on the counter in my bathroom, then one morning it was gone. An old Hawaiian man told me that it was a female ghost, trying to seduce me, If she was, I don't think I would have had a choice.

Daniel Moe, Hawaii
00:00 / 01:04
bottom of page