top of page

The Most Frightening Experience of My Life

Gemma Lawman,WA, Australia
August 2000

Iwas on holiday for the week with my friends Jade, Chloe, Jodie and Christina. We were staying at a small holiday shack in Pemberton before we started college. It was a special thing for us because we'd been saving up for 6 months. Chloe and I had birthdays on the same day and we were having our birthdays at the shack. Accompanying us were my boyfriend, Joel, Chloe's boyfriend, Ethan and some of their friends, but they weren't staying in the same cabin.

On our first night there (out of the 5 nights we stayed), we unpacked. The guys were at their cabin which was a 30 minute walk from ours. They were our closest neighbors.

At about 10:30 we decided to try and find our way to the guys cabin. This was pretty stupid because we only had one flashlight with us. I was against the idea but i didn't want to stay in the cabin alone so I went. We walked and walked but we couldn't find the guys cabin. The flashlight was getting weak so we decided to head back. After about 15 minutes of walking barefoot down the bitumen road, the flashlight ran out, and there were no street lamps or anything because it was so far in the bush. It was quite cloudy so the moon wasn't much help either. It took a while for our eyes to get adjusted to the dark but we managed and clinged to each other in fear.

Suddenly we saw a light. Thinking it was our cabin, we ran towards it. As we approached it, we realised it wasn't our cabin, but a half built cabin. It was identical to ours, but not finished. The walls were built, and there was the frame of a roof, but nothing else. The light was coming from a single light on the veranda. We stood silently staring. This hadn't been there before. We hadn't even seen it in the daylight. I suggested that maybe we took a wrong turn (which was impossible because there was only one road). We decided to wait until daylight before we returned to our cabin. We sat up for a while, but we were all really tired so it didn't take long for us to fall asleep.

I was woken at 3:00am (which I knew from my wristwatch) by what sounded like a tree falling. I looked around. My friends were still asleep. I looked up and I screamed in fear at what I saw, which woke my friends up. The roof had been finished and the walls were painted with the words "I LOVE YOU" in a deep red colour. My friends screamed as well when they saw what had happened.

There was also an extremely foul smell. Like sewerage. We didn't know what to do so we ran and ran and ran for what felt like hours. We finally reached a small tavern which was closed. We yelled and banged until the owners answered the door. We explained our story. As we were doing so, the old couple exchanged worried looks, as if they knew what was going on.

They let us stay there until morning, but none of us could sleep for obvious reasons. When daylight came, the elderly couple drove us back to our cabin where they explained that several people had reported an unfinished house in the bush, but they couldn't find where it was in the morning. They said that we were the only people to have actually stayed there. They then explained that it was impossible for there to have been a light because there is no electricity in the direction that we walked.

We stayed at the guys cabin for the rest of the week. But I was constantly being awoken by the sound of falling trees, which could not be explained in the morning.

One night we all tried to look for that house again but we couldn't find it.

This story is completely true and it is very hard for me to talk about it because I have never been so scared in my life. This story happened at the end of last year.

Thankyou for reading!

Gemma Lawman,WA, Australia
00:00 / 01:04
bottom of page