top of page

A Late Night Bus Ride

Angela Morgan, SD, USA
April 2002

Being a school bus driver you have to be up real early in the morning to get your bus ready for the day, especially in the dead of winter when the cold is blowing all around. I started my day as usual at 5:00a.m. At the time,I was the driver for special education students and I was going to have a long day because of special events going on at school. My route was made longer that day for I had four extra students on my bus and they were not on my regular route. Usually, we get a break, but on this day I drove all day.

It was bitter cold outside, and on a big bus its hard to keep the heat going all the way to the back of the bus. Most of my student were in wheelchairs so we were always loading and unloading in the back with the lift. My monitor and I were overheated up front while our students stayed a little chilly. Towards the end of the day I was not even wearing my coat despite the cold outside. My second to last child was dropped off in a rural area, and my last student was to be dropped off way on the other side of town. My monitor came and sat down directly behind me and settled in for the ride.

I decided to take the interstate highway simply because it was a strait route and less traffic, plus it would be faster. I knew I was tired, but I did not realize just how much so. Between the heat blowing on me and the long day, I fell asleep behind the wheel of the bus. I don't know how long I was out for sure, and I would not have woke up except for the fact that someone or something pressed on the top of my shoulder and whispered in my ear "stay calm and wake up!"

When I opened my eyes I was driving half on the road and half on the shoulder of the road. Instead of panicking and swerving or fishtailing I calmly steered back on to the highway. At first, I thought it was my monitor that had tapped me on the shoulder and spoke to me. I said Thank- you and at the same time looked back into my rear view mirror. I couldn't believe it, but my monitor and my last child were both sleeping very soundly.

Now, I don't know if you will believe me but I know an angel saved all three of us that day on the bus. If that angel had not woke me like it did I may have panicked and crashed, or not woke up at all and crashed.

I have said this before and I'll say it again, THANK YOU ANGEL whoever you are!

Angela Morgan, SD, USA
00:00 / 01:04
bottom of page