top of page

Not Buying This One!

May 2003

About a year after my husband and I were married, we decided that we wanted to start shopping around for our own home. We were living in a condo in Northern Michigan, and as we had a year-old Labrador retriever, we started to look for a home with a little more space and more of a yard.

We went to several open houses, saw a few homes we liked and even more that just weren't going to work. One Sunday afternoon we went to yet another open house, and began looking around. The home was pretty nice upstairs, had several features that we were looking for, and we started to feel pretty positive as we went down the stairs.

At the bottom of the stairs, there were some more bedrooms. As I walked into one, I immediately had a sense of discomfort, and felt a chill. I couldn't explain why I felt so strange, and tried to shrug it off as we looked around the room. I noticed that it had high ceilings, and my sense of something not right aside, it was a friendly room, bright and airy.

My feeling of discomfort kept getting stronger and stronger, and finally we just left the room. There wasn't much else to see, so we got back in the car and headed back home. I mentioned to my husband that something about that room bothered me. He was sympathetic, but I felt that he wasn't quite understanding what I was trying to explain.

When we got back to the condo, it was cold and raining outside, and I decided to lie down for a nap. I fell asleep quickly and began dreaming. In my dream I was walking through the house that we had just gone through. My husband was not in my dream. I kept walking, and went back downstairs to that room. As I turned the corner and walked in, I could see that there was someone hanging from the ceiling. I can't remember any of the facial features, but there was definitely a male figure hanging. The dream was very realistic and very disturbing. I was still gasping when I woke up, and my husband came running in to see what was wrong. I told him about my dream, and we both agreed that it was a little more than spooky.

When I went back to work on Monday (I work for a law enforcement agency) I logged on to the computer, looked up the address of the home, and discovered that there had been a suicide by hanging there last year.

00:00 / 01:04
bottom of page