top of page


Phillip Bardelmeier, California, USA
November 1997

My story starts when I was about 8 years old. My parents had just broken up and given my age I was having a little trouble with this. I tell you this because I believe it may have something to do with my story.

One night I went to sleep with my dog Bingo. Bingo always slept with me at the foot of my bed and protected me against those things that go bump in the night. Well this night I was woken by Bingo barking at something. When I looked up to see what she was barking at, there at the foot of the bed was a figure. It was about 6 feet tall and it had on what looked like a black monks robe with the hood up. I could not see its face. It just stood there looking at me. Bingo did her best to scare it away but it would not move. I covered my head with my pillow in the hope that it would just go away, but when I looked again it was still there. I cannot even begin to tell you how scared I was of this. I tried to yell out to my mother but nothing came out. I was helpless.

At one point the figure raised its hand to Bingo as if to show her it was friendly. Bingo jumped off the bed and went to it, then it raised its hand again and Bingo jumped up on the bed again a laid down and stopped barking. This scared me even more. It stayed there just looking at me until the sun began to shine and it just vanished in thin air.

My mother came in to my room about 20 minutes later to get me up for school and found me unable to stop crying. After about 40 minutes she calmed me down enough to get ready for school. I was in the living room putting on my shoes when I looked out in the backyard and there it was again. I just went crazy!! My Mother rushed out to me and this time there was no calming me down. She told me I could stay home from school but there was no way I was staying in that house. She took me to work with her that day.

For many years I did not see it again. When I was about 15 years old a friend had killed herself and I was having trouble with her death. The night after she died the figure came to me again. But this time I was not afraid of it. In fact I felt as if everything would be all right and it was there to help me through my troubles.

I saw it many times since then and each time there was something wrong in my life. It showed up just to let me know that I can make it through whatever comes up in life. I believe now that this is my Grandfather watching over me. I have not seen the figure for many years now but I can still feel him watching over me.

Phillip Bardelmeier, California, USA
00:00 / 01:04
bottom of page