top of page

Was That Just My Imagination?

August 2001

About 8 years ago, I fell and fractured several vertebrae in my back. I was very fortunate in that the fractures were such that I did not have to have surgery, and I would have no paralysis.

I was in the hospital and many people visited me. Once, two ladies from my church visited me. We talked for a few minutes but because I was so heavily medicated, they didn't stay long. A couple of days later, one of the ladies called me to see how I was. I asked her who were all those other people with them. She didn't know what I was talking about! There were only the two of them.

I took some comfort in the fact that it may have been angels standing in my room. However, my intellect took over and demanded that I acknowledge that it was probably the morphine more than anything supernatural. Still... I wondered.

About a month later, I was up and around - still with a brace and very uncomfortable, but only on a mild pain reliever. I actually drove myself to visit my parents. While I was there, after years of serious depression, my Daddy committed suicide. Needless to say, our family was devastated.

The day his body was prepared for viewing at the funeral home, our family was to gather alone before it was opened for friends and others who wished to say goodbye.

My husband and I arrived at the funeral home. I had "held myself together" pretty well. My husband came around and took my arm. We were walking to the door when another gentleman came and took my other arm. Nearly in the door, my knees buckled from the knowledge of what I was doing there. Had it not been for the two "supporters," I could not have walked in.

The next day was to be the funeral. I was awoken around 5:00 am to hear my Daddy calling my name. I opened my eyes and sat up in bed. I looked around and looked at the window next to our bed. My Daddy was peering in the window! He looked so happy - which was so different than the last few months of his life. He looked peaceful and free! I sat straight up in shock and he said, "I love you, baby. I love you! I love you!" Then, he began to fade away! I thought he was peering in our bedroom window, but the fact is that the window he was looking through faded away also.

I started crying and woke my husband and told him what had happened. He didn't believe me. I began to doubt myself that I had heard him calling me. It was only my grief.

Later that day, when the family, again, was allowed time alone to say our final farewell, I was standing nearby when my older brother said, "Oh, Daddy! I heard you calling my name last night! I woke up and heard you calling me, but I couldn't find you!"

I was shocked but my grief at the moment kept me from saying anything. I would talk to my brother later at a more appropriate time.

The day after the funeral, I was home with my husband, and I was thinking about the past few days. I thought of something and remembered to ask my husband, "By the way, when we first got to the funeral home on Tuesday, who was the other man who came and took my other arm when we were walking in?" He didn't know what I was talking about. He said he was the only one who held my arm walking in. I argued saying, "No. There was another man who walked up from behind us and took my other arm." He was adamant. There was no one else!

I marveled at that. Was it my imagination? Or did an angel come at the time that I needed someone?

I have had many supernatural experiences in my life, but I've got to say that this one is the most precious because it was the most comforting!

By the way, my Mother gave me a peace lilly from the funeral. It never bloomed - until the month of the first anniversary of my Daddy's death. It had one bloom on it. The next year, at the same time, it had two. Etc. etc. for four years, four blooms. Now, it blooms at different times.

After seven years, I was divorced and about to remarry. I took a picture of the plant the day before our wedding. It hadn't bloomed in a long while, but I woke up that day, and it had TWO FULL LENGTH blooms standing tall, side by side. If you know peace lilies, a flower takes several days to develop before the full beauty can be appreciated. This happened overnight! If I ever start doubting that I've been touched by angels, I take out that picture and look at those blooms, and I know. My daddy is fine, and so am I.

00:00 / 01:04
bottom of page